Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CX-GL Honda MCC

I Used To Have One Of Those

Tallpaul

Crankcase breather

I was pottering in the shed today, doing a bit to my CXA project. Removed the breather from the case to clean it and the surrounding area.

I compared it with my 82 custom and saw that no breather is fitted. I looked at the rear of the heads to see if it was vented there and.....nothing!

Anyone got a spare I can buy? It's got a nozzle on the top for a hose and a hex for a spanner and then a bottle shap which screws into the case.

Guest Peter

I may be wrong but I think the later bikes have a breather located near the rear of the engine. Somewhere around the advance mechanism cover. Locate the breather pipe on the air box and trace it back.

Must be a breather somewhere other wise the seals would blow.

Try "Parts Finder" ? That'll show you if and where it is and goes.

No breather on the 500 euro or the 650 custom as far as I remember !

Eric.

Guest Peter
No breather on the 500 euro or the 650 custom as far as I remember !

Eric.

Must be able to breath some how Eric, otherwise the pressure build up in the crankcase when it gets hot would blow the oil seals.

But then I'm not really familiar with the later customs and Euros.

I may be wrong but I think the later bikes have a breather located near the rear of the engine. Somewhere around the advance mechanism cover. Locate the breather pipe on the air box and trace it back.

Must be a breather somewhere other wise the seals would blow.

That's the one I'm looking for Peter.

Try "Parts Finder" ? That'll show you if and where it is and goes.

I know where it goes and it's missing!

Peter, I think there is a tube around the back cover somewhere, unless that is it ???? never minded too much

Eric.

After a search around the 'net, it appears that the TI engine is vented via the pulsar cover. Therefore, please ignore the above thread! Thanks for the contributions though.

That's surprises me because it means the emissions from the breather go to atmosphere. Not something allowed in the states (or europe for that matter) for many years.

My CX A had the two small breather hoses from the top of the block which then joins into one and on into the air intake box. I modified it to the later breather 'bottle' which screws into the rear crankcase where you view the flywheel. I think this became standard on the B. Much better breathing and as far as I know, you can still buy all the bits.

There should be no bike which breathes to atmosphere, but I could be wrong

Ride safe

Richard

That's surprises me because it means the emissions from the breather go to atmosphere. Not something allowed in the states (or europe for that matter) for many years.

The breather runs into the air cleaner. It's a bit hidden under the tank etc.

CDI early Bikes breath via ports on the back of the cylinder heads

TI bikes ordinarily breath from the Timing unit cover on the back of the engine.

The breather mod is applicable to BOTH the CDI and TI models.....contrary to popular belief that the issue covered only affects the CDI bikes.

Both are connected via hose to the airbox.

The reason given for the breather mod was excess oil consumption when running at high RPM for any period of time.

This is why you will sometimes tend to find that you get a drip of oil from the airbox drain on CDI bikes.

I've also found this when doing long distances on the GL700, after which I pull the drain plug from the airbox drain pipe and get a small amount of oil.

Having done some research it seems that Breather "mods" are available for both the TI and CDI bikes, but are most commonly used on the CDI bikes.

The Breather mod kit Comprised:

2 x Blanking Plugs (CDI, 1 only for the TI Bike) for the existing breather

1 x Hose and connector, to connect the new breather to the old breather hose (which goes to the airbox)

1 breather - Otherwise known as the bottle breather - replaces the timing inspection cover on the rear casing for both models

Hope this is of use