Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CX-GL Honda MCC

I Used To Have One Of Those

mkCX

CX500A Garage Find

Now that I've managed to source another swingarm bearing cup I've finally started reassembly with the new Hagon shocks.

Edited by Guest

Looking good Mark!

Can't help with swingarm gap as mine is a Euro. About to take a deep breathe and attempt to dismantle suspension/swing arm...may take me a while.

Hope to see your ZAB on the road soon!

Cheers

B

Looking good Mark!

Can't help with swingarm gap as mine is a Euro. About to take a deep breathe and attempt to dismantle suspension/swing arm...may take me a while.

I know the Euro is a different setup but I was surprised just how easily it all went with mine. The only bugger was getting the race out of the cup. If I ever have to do it again I'll be reusing the race if possible. To be honest everything so far has come apart without any hardship. I haven't even had to use the heat gun. Compared to the CG it's been a skoosh.

To be honest everything so far has come apart without any hardship. I haven't even had to use the heat gun.

That's a big well-done to your grandad for storing it away safely! I've ridden about on mine and often left it out in poor weather, so I'm more wary.

Plus I'm naturally sliw and a bit lazy ;)

It's starting to look like a bike again finally. Got the forks rebuilt and back on today along with a few other bits and pieces. I also got my refurbished calipers back from Nick Chambers. They look almost like new. I also ordered a new master cylinder assembly from David Silver to replace the stock one (Honda rebuild parts were too expensive to justify). Wheels and final drive casing are away to the painter.

Going to have a go at enlarging the rear engine case later in the week, replace the mech seal and get the rear case back on. Almost finished replacing the other seals in the engine although I'm still planning to take the heads of again to swap to Honda gaskets.

cx500-progress.jpg

Coming on well - thats a nice workshop !!

Eric.

Coming on well - thats a nice workshop !!

Eric.

That's cause it's the kitchen! :)

Handy for making cups of tea and its cleaner than working in a dirty shed too !! :D

Eric.

I decided to replace all the o rings in the carbs so had a quick gander at them today. The float valve needles were upside down! Guess that might explain why it wasn't running well back in the day.

Almost done...

I just have to set the valve clearances the I can press the go button and see if she starts! If she runs it'll just take some adjustments on the carbs and she'll be ready for her MOT.

cx2.jpg

cx3.jpg

Unfortunately I'm going on holiday for a few days so it'll need to wait a week.

Turns out the clutch is seized. Not entirely unsurprising given it didn't move for 30 years but I really should have checked earlier, i.e. before I filled it with the new oil!!

No matter, there's worse jobs out there. Just one more thing to do when I get home next week.

So it also turned out that I had a coolant leak which I discovered just before I went on holiday so I ended up having to drop the coolant. It was weeping from two points around the water pump cover. I took the carbs out and luckily when I removed the cover it turned out the gasket just wasn't sitting right and had a wee nick in it. New gasket in and leak was gone.

Getting the carbs back in was a right pain in the ass so I took the opportunity to fit new throttle cables rather than reusing the old ones as I'd originally intended. New clutch and cable are also fitted now.

All I need to do now is set the valve clearances, get the tank back on and finish securing a couple of hoses and it'll be good to try it's first start since '86ish. If it runs just a little tweaking and it'll be MOT time.

Got everything finished off today. She's ready to try starting. I'll maybe have a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed she doesn't go crunch!

All the lights, etc. work fine. She started up pretty much immediately. Definitely some further car adjustments necessary but she sounded good, smooth. I only let her run for a minute or so as it was dark out but there was quite a bit of oily smelling smoke. Hoping that's just residual oil and any old crud in the exhaust burning off and not indicative of anything more serious. I'll find out when I get chance to let run for longer in daylight.

So it also turned out that I had a coolant leak which I discovered just before I went on holiday so I ended up having to drop the coolant.

What antifreeze did you put in. Was it bike specific or car stuff. Maybe other members may have an opinion on wether we should use specific bike antifreeze or ‘run-of-the-mill’ car stuff.

Mike in France, do you have a position on this ?

DC

So it also turned out that I had a coolant leak which I discovered just before I went on holiday so I ended up having to drop the coolant.

What antifreeze did you put in. Was it bike specific or car stuff. Maybe other members may have an opinion on wether we should use specific bike antifreeze or ‘run-of-the-mill’ car stuff.

Mike in France, do you have a position on this ?

DC

Halfords pink has no silicates

Most cx riders recommend

HI ALL COOLANT MY UNDERSTANDING OF THE HALFORDS PINK STUFF IS ALTHOUGH IT CONTAINS

NO SILICATES IT IS MAINLY FOR ALLUMINIUM RADIATORS , AND IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR COPPER. BRASS. SOLDER RADIATORS

I NOW USED CASTROL MOTORCYCLE COOLANT, I DID USE THE HALFORDS STUFF WITHOUT ANY APPARENT DAMAGE. OBAN1

i have allways used the green coloured car stuff and never had a problem in 30 years, same with oils, have allways used shell helix 10w40 semi synth oil without any problems( also very cheap)

It was the green coloured car stuff that I am also going to use.

Thanks for your input Mike.

Really pleased to hear you finally got it started!! An early Christmas present!

I think a bit smoky on rebuild is fine, there will be oil everywhere.

Great news! And the bike looks smashing.

Days now getting longer too!!

B