Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CX-GL Honda MCC

I Used To Have One Of Those

ericry

Krauser pannier racks on a eurosport ?

Anyone fitted older style krauser pannier racks to a eurosport ??? (the ones with kinda rectangular opening that accept the older "BMW" style square panniers with aluminium frame edges)

I have the plastic pannier frames and looking at putting them on the eurosport - its possible I'm thinking using the rear footrest mounting bolt and maybe the front grabrail bolt ??? Anyone done anything similar and what did you use for the metal fittings etc ? Any pics ?

Just wondering what anyone else did ?

Eric.

can be done but on all CX types a bit of creative ironwork may be needed, here an example from the Dutch club site:

cN2KflM.jpg

for more examples have a look http://www.hondacx500.nl/ in the showroom, Euro = CX500E section.

Cheers, Frans

Eric, those ones on Richards GL650 were originally on my Euro with those panniers. I "doctored" them to fit the GL. Before you say it " no I'm not a real welder" !!

Thanks Frans, any idea what the back mounting point is ?

Thanks Marty, any pics of the racks on the euro ?

Eric.

>Thanks Frans, any idea what the back mounting point is ?

no, never owned an E, not really familiar with the frame details. But I have fitted them on several Z/A/B types and that too was always a hassle to get a stable constuction, and everything else still functional like being able to get the seat off and the cases not melting because they're too close to the mufflers. Current problem I've got with Krausers is that I have a very nice (really as new) set to go on my red bike which

beQ0DTv.jpg

looks terrible. I'll respray them in red to match. Unless anybody wants to trade for a red set ?

I've got K2 Krausers on my Euro, they've stayed in place for a decade, and are properlywaterproof, unlike earlier K. These are the ones with a plastic boomerang as the rack on each side. K1 has metal rectangle on each side, not waterproof and apparently not so secure (but i can sell u a K1 pair if u like).

If K2, I can rake photos of my setup, which works with a passenger. Not that my CX has worked at all recently ;/

Edit: like this

21 Mon 30.11.15

Hi Brendan,

Thanks.

I think its the K1 panniers I have - the mounting frame is kinda rectangular shaped with like a metal (seat belt like) tab on the frame that clicks into the lock/catch on the panniers.

I have K1 frames on the cx650c for wanted to use the same panniers on both bike.

Agree the K1 panniers might not be 100% waterproof, thats why my stuff is in a shopping bag inside a black bin liner in the panniers !!

Plus I also wrap a strap around the frame and the pannier to avoid unexpected detaching !!

A previous BMW R80/7 bike I sold had K1 panniers fitted and I warned the young lad who bought it to always wrap a strap around them as they have been know to "detach" at inopportune moments for several bmw riders over the years.....yeah yeah yeah.....3 months later got a sad email..he was tootling through Romania on a motorway or Dual carriageway and one of his "unstrapped" panniers decided to go for a bounce along the motorway and was driven over by an 18 wheeler coming behind ...he didnt even bother going back to look.....had to finish out his trip and buy some local t-shirts and boxers !!!!

my pannier frames are like these (dont have the flat top piece, just the sides !!)

24715210273_e3d890d0cc_b.jpg

Yep, K1 I think. I do have a set of K1 panniers and frames, only bought them for the frames, but have never used them. I know it makes sense to have same oanniers on everything...maybe this is the time to upgrade!

Good luck either way Eric!

FYI, the set as in Eric's picture above is the one I have on my 500B for the K1 panniers. Krauser actually made two different mounting kits for the 500 Z/A/B - the earlier one required the grab-rail to be removed to fit it. The later one (which I have) keep the grabrail. After Krauser stopped making these Michael Krauser did carry on with them independently (along with sidecars) I ordered bracket sets locks and hinges from the directly about 5 years ago but I think they went into liquidation recently.

Older BMW pannier spares are generally the same as Krauser.

I did draw up the brackets for that set, so if anyone needs a copy, let me know.

Alan

The more I look at it the more it seems very difficult to mount my panniers and keep the original eurosport rear indicators.

With the original indicators the boxes are more forward on the bike which makes then quite high in relation to the seat and although I dont plan on carrying a pillion I think it might affect the rider too !!

Need to look at it when I have more time, mount the cases and hold up to bike etc.

Plus with the panniers more forward its more difficult to put in rear link bar between the racks as you're not as far back (behind the rear wheel) so a bar would need to go in then up and around the rear wheel then out again.

Needs a lots of looking at...nothing easy !

Eric.

Hi Eric

Yep, I think Euro indicators maje panniers harder work. If you lose them, you can put the panniers where you want (=can ride 2-up too), and get an extra mounting point for the racks too where the indixators used to be. With K2 racks, it was obvious as the rack has built-in indicators, but I'm sure you can fit something.